Modern homes are well sealed to keep heating and cooling indoors. While this improves energy efficiency, inadequate fresh air, indoor contaminants and nonstop recirculation can lead to problems.
Don’t worry, though, because Alpine Summit Heating & Cooling can help you have an energy-efficient home that’s also comfortable. Our services include an air quality audit, air duct cleaning and products to help improve indoor air quality in Athol, Idaho.
Call us at 208-561-1226 today to start refreshing your home’s indoor air quality.
Evidence Your Home Deals With Poor Indoor Air Quality
Is your indoor air healthy? It may not be as fresh as you think. Pollution is often two to five times more concentrated indoors compared to outdoors, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Indoor air contaminants drifting in your home’s air could induce headaches and allergy symptoms. And mold and mildew can trigger a number of health issues.
While these types of symptoms can be a result of other issues, they can also be a sign your home is dealing with indoor air quality (IAQ) problems. This is particularly true if you feel normal again while you’re not home.
- Dry eyes, nose, throat or skin
- Headaches and sinus pressure
- Allergies or asthma symptoms that are worse than average
- Coughing and sneezing
- Dizziness or nausea
An old heating and cooling system can be worsening indoor air quality problems, particularly if it’s struggling to filter air, control humidity or keep temperatures consistent.
Here are several other signs you may need to refresh your indoor air:
- Too much static or mold growth
- High quantities of dust
- Stuffy or musty odors
How Can I Avoid Indoor Air Quality Problems?
Preventing indoor air quality problems should be fairly simple with the following 10 simple tips:
- Request an indoor air quality audit with Alpine Summit Heating & Cooling. We’ll test areas that impact air quality, such as humidity, carbon monoxide and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Then we’ll go over whatever problems we uncover and how you can fix them.
- Clean consistently to reduce dust mites, which can exacerbate allergies and asthma.
- Keep your home free of secondhand smoke.
- Use a whole-home filtration system to eliminate odors, instead of concealing them with air fresheners or fragrant candles. The contaminants include chemicals that can cause headaches or upset respiratory conditions.
- Air out gas-burning appliances, including stoves and water heaters, outside.
- Keep your home’s humidity levels in check with a humidifier or dehumidifier, depending on your needs. Put humidity under 50% to hinder mold and mildew spores.
- Check your home for radon. Long-term exposure to this invisible radioactive gas is the main cause of lung cancer for nonsmokers, according to the EPA. You can purchase a radon test kit online or contact your state radon program for info on discounted or free kits.
- Implement a ventilation system to exchange contaminated indoor air with fresh outside air.
- Choose natural cleaning and painting substances that are low in or free of VOCs. Excess levels of VOCs can worsen symptoms for family members with respiratory conditions.
- Mount carbon monoxide detectors right outside bedrooms.
Start Cleaning Your Air Today with Alpine Summit Heating & Cooling
With a full roster of and indoor air quality solutions, Alpine Summit Heating & Cooling can help your family breathe much easier. Call us at 208-561-1226 or contact us online today to begin.